New Balance is turning to the past for a number of new product projects bringing the brand into the future.
- First comes a partnership with Aimé Leon Dore (ALD) and their latest collaboration, bringing a fresh look to the iconic 1906 running shoe silhouette. The shoe extends Aimé Leon Dore x New Balance’s reimagination of nostalgic running shoes, drawing inspiration from the shiny and exaggerated overlays that were a hallmark of runners in the early 2000s. The 1906 follows the 860v2 collection and campaign launch in early April.
The 1906 features a breathable mesh upper, N-ergy cushioning and Abzorb sole technology for enhanced support and comfort, and a rubber outsole.
Launched globally on NewBalance.com on May 4, the Aimé Leon Dore x New Balance 1906 has an MSRP of $170.
And in case you didn’t know it, founded in 2014, Aimé Leon Dore is a fashion and lifestyle brand based in New York City. Inspired by daily life and culture, Aimé Leon Dore has continued to refine and progress the definition of men’s fashion through a clean, bold and classic aesthetic that emanates from each garment and is felt in its media projects and in-store experience.
- Next up, on May 12 New Balance celebrated what it called “Grey Day” which pays homage to the new and classic expressions of the brand’s legacy in the color grey. In the late 1970s, grey was originally born as a solution for urban runners whose white shoes were getting destroyed by city conditions. The grey suede reinforced durability and matched the color of asphalt. Countless iterations of grey products later, the connection between the color and New Balance remains everlasting and endlessly versatile.
In tribute to Grey Day, the brand releases several exclusive new products including:
- A bespoke “Moon Daze” collection that includes versions of four classic New Balance silhouettes: the 550, 580, 9060 and Fresh Foam x More Trail v3. Drawing inspiration from the future, “Moon Daze” begs the question: What would shoes look like after walking on another planet?
- A Made in USA capsule that outfits the 990v4, 990v6, 996 and 998, in grey hues aimed at telling a story of heritage and representing New Balance’s devotion to craftsmanship.
- A limited-edition Furon v7 football boot.
- A Numeric skate pack featuring the Tiago Lemos 808 and the Grey Day 306.
The brand also launched a curated shop of existing grey footwear and apparel on newbalance.com.
“To New Balance, the color grey represents a history of innovation and serves as a global symbol of style — it is emblematic our unique path forward,” explains Chris Davis, chief marketing officer and senior VP–merchandising at New Balance. “Grey Day is a moment for the brand to declare our unwavering position at the intersection of performance and style, and celebrate the design innovation that continues to propel us into the future.”
The Grey Day collections were available on NewBalance.com starting May 12 with prices ranging from $130-$170 for the inline collection and prices ranging from $190 to $220 for the Made in USA collection.