Already making an impact at retail with what it describes as “a well-designed athletic apparel brand made for the urban professional,” Fourlaps has unveiled its first-ever sustainable initiative, called Re-up, for Spring 2020. The season’s collection is made with materials that are 21-91 percent recycled, depending on the style, and the company’s goal is to be using 100 percent recycled materials by 2024.
Launched in New York in 2016, Fourlaps prides itself on creating thoughtfully designed apparel for guys who don’t compromise on performance or style, according to founder Daniel Shapiro, an entrepreneur with a passion for athletic apparel who also happens to have more than 15 years of experience at major fashion brands.
Although he liked the training gear that was available, Shapiro says he was disappointed with the industry’s lackluster offerings for men. He soon realized that to get what he wanted, he’d have to create it himself and the result is the fashion-forward Fourlaps line that he describes as his vision in action — the union of bold and functional athletic design with expert craftsmanship.
The company made significant strides in 2019, aligning with aspirational partners such as Peloton and Barry’s Bootcamp. The traditionally direct-to-consumer brand is also now sold at top retailers including Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, Urban Outfitters, J.Crew and Paragon. Run specialty is the next move.
Today, the collection has evolved from a concise selection of primarily bright, color-blocked workout gear to a more diverse offering of stylish staple pieces that wear equally well both in and out of the gym. By introducing new fabrics and technologies into their designs such as 37.5, Fourlaps has grown into a seasoned lifestyle brand with a sustainability message as well.
Among the new products for Spring 2020:
- The 7-inch Bolt Short is designed to be a hybrid between running and training wear.
- The Advance Short, described as the heart and soul of the line, features four-way stretch fabric, a quick dry finish, breathable mesh side panels, an in-pocket phone sleeve and a moisture-wicking liner.
- The Flex Jogger, created with recycled nylon and spandex, is an all-around training pant for the track to the gym.
- Created with the runner in mind, the compression Command Short is made with post-consumer recycled polyester and spandex. The 7-inch short features a 7.5-inch compression liner, zipper pockets, quick dry and UV protection.
- The Dash Tank 2.0 is made of a performance mesh fabric to wick sweat for moisture control and an antimicrobial treatment that fights odors.